Nursery Deputy Manager
A career in childcare awaits you at Banana Moon…
Nursery Deputy Manager
Banana Moon Caversham is a thriving nursery looking for an enthusiastic, energetic and motivational Nursery Deputy Manager. This is an exciting opportunity to help lead a happy, successful nursery where we focus on encouraging children to be children, learning through fun and engaging play. You will be working with a dedicated team in a caring, family friendly, characterful and stimulating environment which is inviting to children, parents and staff.
As an early years professional you will benefit from Banana Moon brand management training and a programme of continuous professional development supported by our head office quality and improvement team.
The Nursery Deputy Manager works closely with the Manager and may have responsibility as a Room Leader whilst also being expected to take responsibility for every day management responsibilities in the absence of the Manager. The role requires the confidence to make decisions considering the reputation and financial aspects of the business whilst balancing a high degree of sensitivity to the needs of children and families.
To support operational management of the nursery facilities and staff, to ensure a high quality, balanced provision of leading practice education and care is delivered at all times. Responsible for company adherence to Banana Moon policies and procedures. Consistently meeting legislative requirements and following education curriculum, delivering standards which ensure highest possible inspection grading.
To assist with the training, support, mentoring, role modelling and supervision of the staff team, inspiring and leading ambitious practice. To create a safe, caring and welcoming setting in which parents are happy to entrust their child and where their child is encouraged and supported to flourish in an enabling and stimulating environment.
To promote a successful and profitable business, engaging with the local community and marketing the nursery to reach maximum occupancy whilst providing excellent customer care.
Acting as a named co-ordinator relevant to their skills or training as designated by the Nursery Manager.
• To operate alongside the direction of the Manager, deputising as required.
• Adhere to policies and procedures implemented by Banana Moon Franchise, ensuring relevant legislation is met.
• Maintain and promote the brand of Banana Moon Franchise.
• Having key holder responsibility, ensuring security is maintained at all times, including the opening up and the closing of the nursery at the end of the day.
• Deal with complaints (verbal/written), recording and responding within the set time frame and reporting to governing bodies and Head Office where warranted.
• Assist with Head Office Quality Improvement Visits and Inspections and support staff and Manager to action all recommendations within the agreed time scale.
• Ensure ratios are in line with policy and staff rotas are financially astute.
• Responsible for admissions in line with the admissions procedure accurately updating the nursery management software system as necessary.
• Ensure daily registers and records of children in attendance are accurate.
• Oversee roles and responsibilities as required by legislative requirements and liaise with external agencies.
• Implement Health and Safety policies, ensuring the Health and Safety at Work Regulations are complied with, reviewing the risk assessments as necessary and liaising with 3rd party employment law and health and safety advice company.
• Ensure regular emergency evacuation drills are carried out recorded and evaluated.
• Maintain high standards of cleanliness and hygiene, overseeing kitchen documentation and practice to ensure food safety regulations set out by the local Environmental Health are adhered to, this may involve cooking in the absence of the cook.
• To administer or oversee first aid and medication, referring to further emergency assistance if required. To report accidents of staff or serious injury to children to parents, relevant Inspectorate, RIDDOR, the Director and Head Office.
• To ensure the safer recruitment policy and procedure is adhered to and all the relevant documentation is accurately completed and securely stored.
• Implement Self-Evaluation alongside all staff members.
• Involvement in staff meetings to reinforce brand values and strive for continually evolving high standards of practice.
• Identify, via, reviews and appraisals, training requirements of employees and organise internal/external appropriate training with Manager approval. Liaise with child-care training providers and student mentors.
• Assist the Manager to address staff underperformance issues using Performance Management Records and the disciplinary process, following guidance from 3rd Party employment law and health and safety advice company.
• To be responsible for the management of allocated room if appropriate.
• Oversee the planning and provision of a stimulating environment with a balance of challenging and inspiring child/adult lead activities reflecting children’s individual needs and interests.
• To understand key children’s culture, level of development and identify next steps.
• To manage the record keeping system for children’s development and support nursery staff in completing and maintaining these records on a regular basis and to involve parents in the process of planning.
• Liaise with Assistant Deputy/Room Leaders to ensure confident systems are in place to guarantee the continued smooth running of the settings in their absence and report to the Manager any information gathered during their absence.
• Assist in ensuring details are added to the nursery software management system.
• Assist in keeping waiting lists up to date to support high occupancy.
• Assist in ensuring invoices are processed on time and forwarded to parents.
• Implement a proactive and ambitious marketing plan to drive the quality reputation of the company whilst managing occupancy levels to maximum capacity.
• In the absence of the manager submit documentation for payroll.
• In the absence of the manager ensure the collection of fees are recorded on the nursery management software system and payments are safely kept.
Customer Service Operations
• Actively promote services to entice prospective customers and ensure the retention of families.
• Train staff members how to support informative, professional and welcoming show rounds to prospective customers.
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive family information whilst adhering to child protection policy and procedures.
• Ensure regular, detailed communication with parents via newsletters, parents evenings, open days/evenings, strong key person relationships.
To undertake such other duties as reasonably requested by the Manager and to work in a flexible way on occasions that tasks arise which are not specifically covered in their job description.
Qualifications and experience required:
A full and relevant level 3 qualification as defined by Children’s Workforce Development Council
DBS enhanced disclosure within the child workforce sector
Paediatric 12hr First Aid certificate
Safeguarding training and qualification
Minimum of 2 year’s post qualifying experience
Minimum of 1 year’s management experience
• Employee recognition scheme
• Employee childcare discount
• Staff uniform
Job Type:Full time
Salary: competitive/based on experience
Please enquire via phone, or email your latest CV to the Nursery Manager, Sarah Akerman, using the details below:
phone: 0118 947 5502